On my Nightstand

I can't belive January is gone already. I breezed through several books, some good, some not.

  • Lipstick Jungle by Candace Bushnell was interesting, but overrated. I listened to this one and loved the voice of the Sex & The City Star that read it.
  • Zipporah by Marek Halter. Since I liked Sarah so much, I wanted to move to the next book the trilogy. Zipporah was the wife of Moses. She was nubian, and just like today, she was ostracized because she was different. She also was Moses' rock, refusing to be his wife until he accepted his destiny. Interesting, but not as good as Sarah.
  • Brokeback Mountain. Read this before going to see the movie.
  • Blink. Can we say boring? Maybe because I tried to listen while running instead of reading it. It felt like a textbook.
  • On Beauty. I couldn't even finish this. All Black ain't the same. Zadie missed the nuances that make African Americans unique. Everytime I tried, I fell asleep. Not a good sign. I couldn't finish it. I might someday, just not soon. It wasn't for me. Okay, let me try again. Let's see, where did I leave off. Okay, here's my page. Zzzzzzz. Oh, I'm sorry, just nodded off a minute. See what I mean?
  • Minion. Last month I enjoyed one of the other books in the series, decided to go back and start from the beginning. This is a fabulous vampire story that makes vampires the explanation for the the root of all evil, drugs, corrupt music, corrupt corporations. Political messages here. I loved this book. I tried a couple of years ago to read this and obviously my mind wasn't ready for it yet, but it was soooo good. Wear a cross or a Star of David.
  • Sex. Lies. Murder.Fame. by Lolita Files. The title sums it up. This was, by far, the read of the month. I couldn't put it down. Run, do not walk, to the bookstore to get this. Pres send at your favorite online bookstore ASAP.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Both were thick reads in my mind, but I liked "On Beauty" a lot more (once I got past the first third of it).

Popular posts from this blog

Closed-But Still Awesome!

Ugly Feet E-mail/Summer Open Toe Shoe Pledge

What are friends for?