Blog in the Round - Passing the Torch

My friend and author Marissa Monteilh has asked me to participate in Blog in The Round. What is that you ask? It's a way for you and me to get to know authors and find out what they are working on. Marissa was asked by KL Brady, who was asked by Trice Hickman, who was asked by another writer-friend of mine, Trisha Thomas. I'm supposed to answer four questions about my writing process, and then pass it on to other authors.

What am I writing./working on?

I always have more than one project in my head at the same time in various stages of development. I am working on co-writing a non-fiction book with Shalay Peterson called The Sentinel Event. It is an account of her journey from Islam to Christianity after a medical mistake critically injured her newborn. Shalay and her husband received a landmark settlement from the federal government that reformed the way service members and their families are compensated for medical injuries.
I am also brewing another YA/NA novel to follow up on Catfish, and have begun writing the finally book in the Cynnamon Foster series. Western Fusion takes place in Istanbul. It picks up where Sam and Desiree left off, but this time, they are split up on assignment.


How does my writing/work differ from others in its genre? 
Which one? I write in several. Even though most of my work is fiction, I like to include real stuff in it. The Cynnamon Foster books take place in far flung locations that I have traveled to, and I try to make the details as true as possible so that readers can experience that. Catfish (YA) tackles real life problems. In fact, I based some of the goings on on things that really happened in the hopes that parents and teens are both entertained and enlightened as they navigate their electronic lives.

Why do I write what I do?
I write what intrigues me. I'm a naturally curious person, so that changes a lot. My brain gets to working and I write about the "what if...".

How does my writing process work?
It is forever evolving. Right now, I get an idea in my head, and mull on it quite a bit. Usually, a detail will reveal itself to me, and I write a snippet down. Finally , I write the story that makes the snippets all come together. I often end up in places I didn't expect this way.

Who's next? I will be passing the torch to Pat Tucker and Raquel Penzo. Check them both out on their blogs!





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Closed-But Still Awesome!

Ugly Feet E-mail/Summer Open Toe Shoe Pledge

What are friends for?