A Therapist and a Bill Collector


Editing an anthology has left me feeling like a therapist and a bill collector.  When I wrote my part, I thought I was done but now, after receiving almost all of the submissions I was expecting, I realized I have so much more to write.  I had no idea the project would impact so many people the way it has or that I would find out all the things that I have about my writer-friends.  For them to be so fabulous after all they have experienced makes me respect them that much more. 
I feel like a bill collector because there are still a few more submissions that have been promised that I have yet to receive.  I know that everyone has deadlines for much bigger projects, but its time to hound people for their 4000 words now, and I hate that. For some of them, its because they do have a very busy schedule, for others, the delay is because is because I asked them to write about a hard subject that they are not ready to face.  Creative non-fiction is like that.  Sometimes the words don’t come until you are absolutely honest with yourself.  Its not easy to flay yourself and just leave everything out in the open.  The flaying needs to commence, though.  Other projects are waiting.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What are friends for?

Closed-But Still Awesome!

Ugly Feet E-mail/Summer Open Toe Shoe Pledge