I read an interesting tidbit about the Real Housewives of Atlanta. First, let’s just say I’m not really a fan. I caught a few snippets and although I have to admit that I was riveted, I refused to return. I was sort of put off by their shenanigans. I mean, are these people real? I know they weren’t figments of my imagination, but I didn’t feel they were an honest (or respectable) portrayal of black “housewives”. I can say that because I know a lot of people who would fall into that category. Really, this was an excellent illustration of the fact that class and money (or style and money) are not the same things. But hey, I wasn’t mad at them for scoring a slice of somebody’s black on TV, even if they did look like buffoon’s when all the editing was done. I realize that not everyone shares my opinion, and that the editor’s knife can be wicked.

The tidbit said that Deshawn Snow would not be returning to the show for another season. Why not? She’s too normal. The quote I read said that the producers claimed she was “too normal for a circus show.”

I would have taken that as a compliment.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I attempted to watch this show as well and was very turned off as a black man by the behavior of these so call social elite. I wait for the day someone creates a show or someone gives me the money to create a show in which we or I can show black women in a positive light instead of this constant head snapping, loud, and ignorant stereotype. The funny thing about this show is the girls were nothing short of actors hired for the show who each had their own sordid past or present. Great blog. Thank You.
Nina Foxx said…
Brian, These were not "social elite". The Real "elite" would be much quieter than this.
Anonymous said…
Hi Nina,
I understand the role model and positive images debate. But let's face it: Positive and respectable makes for BORING reality TV. It's all about entertainment. About that circus comment, hey, bring the clowns!

Popular posts from this blog

Closed-But Still Awesome!

Ugly Feet E-mail/Summer Open Toe Shoe Pledge

What are friends for?